Araghchi: "We Will Wait for the Definitive Position via Mediators"

On the Conditions for Reopening Hormuz: "We Will Not Back Down"

"We Have Never Closed the Door to Diplomacy and Negotiation"

Iran has kept the door open for negotiations even after announcing that U.S. President Donald Trump has rejected its proposal to reopen the Strait of Hormuz. Iran stated that, despite Trump's public remarks, it would wait for the official U.S. position communicated through a mediator before responding.

Araghchi Abbas, Iranian Foreign Minister.

Araghchi Abbas, Iranian Foreign Minister.

View original image

Abbas Araghchi, Iranian Foreign Minister, said via Telegram on the 27th, "I have seen the first reaction of the U.S. President," but added, "We have not yet received anything through the mediators." He went on to say, "We are waiting for a clear position to be delivered via the mediators, and we will make our decision based on the definitive U.S. stance."


Araghchi, who is visiting the United States to attend the United Nations General Assembly, is scheduled to remain in the country until the 30th.


It has been reported that Iran, through mediators, has set forth conditions that it could reopen the Strait of Hormuz within seven days if the U.S. lifts its maritime blockade, returns frozen assets, enacts ceasefires on all fronts, and exempts Iranian crude oil exports from sanctions.


President Trump announced on the 26th (local time) that he had rejected Iran's proposal. He asserted that Iran is under heavy pressure and is seeking an agreement to reopen the strait, but said, "That proposal is unacceptable."


Nevertheless, Minister Araghchi indicated that negotiations were not over based solely on President Trump's public statements. He said, "The U.S. President made some positive remarks, but also many contradictory ones," adding, "This is unfortunately something we have seen often in the past."


Regarding the conditions for reopening the Strait of Hormuz, Araghchi reiterated Iran's stance. "Our conditions are clear," he emphasized, "Any progress toward reopening the strait is contingent upon the fulfillment of our conditions, and we will not yield on this point." He continued, "They can only break this deadlock through negotiations. We have never closed the path to diplomacy and negotiation, but at the same time, we have never compromised our rights."



Minister Araghchi also said that he had held multiple meetings alongside the Iranian President on the occasion of the UN General Assembly. He explained that during these meetings, Iran's conditions for reopening the Strait of Hormuz and advancing negotiations were outlined, and emphasized that these conditions had been decided by Iran's Supreme National Security Council.


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily. All rights reserved. Unauthorized AI training and use prohibited.

Today’s Briefing