Suntae Kim Voluntarily Leaves 'Don Suntae' Amid 'Second Offense' Controversy, "Personally Apologized to Resenne"
"It wasn't easy to be the sole MC on a major network"
Questioned Onee of Resenne about the "Museobno" remark
Apologizes: "I will make sure this never happens again"
YouTuber Suntae Kim, who gained fame through his activities as "Chungjumann," has decided to voluntarily leave the program after controversy arose over his so-called "second offense" against Resenne member Onee. The controversy was sparked when he revisited the "Museobno" (meaning "Are you scared?") question, which had previously been a topic of debate.
Suntae Kim voluntarily withdrew from KBS YouTube web entertainment show 'Don Suntae'. Captured from the YouTube channel 'Suntae Kim'
View original imageOn July 31, through his YouTube channel, Suntae Kim stated, "I always wanted to be the sole MC on a major broadcast, but after trying it, I realized it's really not easy."
Previously, as the sole MC of the KBS YouTube original web variety show "Don Suntae: Age of Success," Kim brought up the controversy over the dialect phrase "Museobno" again with the guest, Onee.
Onee, who is from Geoje, Gyeongnam Province, became embroiled in controversy when she used the phrase "Museobno" in a YouTube video, as it was pointed out that this expression is used in certain online communities.
Regarding this, Onee said, "Honestly, I was very surprised. It was really scary to see myself in the news overnight." She added, "I was especially worried that being in the news would have a negative impact on our group." Despite her answer, Kim pressed further, asking if anyone had said, "This is just a kind of viral marketing," and even requested that she say in dialect, "Why is my story coming up in politics?"
Particularly, KBS faced criticism for tagging the names of unrelated celebrities such as Hong Myung-bo, Lee Jaeyong, Chey Tae-won, Min Hee-jin, NewJeans, Lee Jaemyung, and Han Donghoon in the shorts version of the video, even though the video content was unrelated to them. As the controversy continued, the video was set to private, and the channel "Kbaegsu Original" itself has also made the entire channel private.
The previous day, Suntae Kim uploaded an apology video to his own YouTube channel. In a second apology video on this day, he stated, "I am lacking in ability, and to be honest, working alone without an agency has made things difficult. I felt a lot of shortcomings in leading the show as the sole MC," announcing his voluntary withdrawal from "Don Suntae."
He continued, "There is a contract in place, and the program was already given a regular slot by the broadcasting station, so the decision to step down was not easy. Yesterday, I spoke directly with the CEO of Resenne's agency (The Muse Entertainment) and personally apologized to the CEO and the members."
He added, "In fact, before I reached out, I heard that the members were actually worried about me first. That made me feel even more sorry, two or three times over. This incident has prompted me to look back on myself and reflect on whether I might have lost my original intentions," continuing his apology.
Hot Picks Today
"Could the Global AI Boom Trigger a 'Gas Crisis'? Expert Warns of Depletion by 2030 [Tech Talk]"
- "Unimaginable Outside Korea": Taiwanese Tourist Recovers 1.3 Million Won Left in Taxi
- A Real-Life Fairytale: 26-Year-Old Car Salesman Revealed to Be a Prince
- "Does This Really Work?" Just Add Cold Water... Cup Noodles Sell Out in 68 Years' First Craze
- "Could Have Led to a Serious Accident": Public Outrage as Spectator Pushes Mascot at Baseball Stadium... Father Apologizes
He concluded, "I sincerely apologize to everyone who may have been uncomfortable because of this situation, and to our subscribers who were affected. I will make sure nothing like this happens again in the future," bowing his head once more in apology.
© The Asia Business Daily. All rights reserved. Unauthorized AI training and use prohibited.